CITY: Works of Fiction is re-issued in July 2005 via All Saints / Hannibal (Ryko) with new cover art. Catalogue number for the world is HNCD 1483.
From the CD notes:
• Spirit: not only in the forest but in the carwash, too. Exotic culture forms highlight pop culture forms and vice-versa...
"...and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."T.S. Eliot
• Expanding sonic menu made possible by continuing inquiry into what's the baby and what's the bathwater, i.e., relationship of surface features (recognizable to most) to structural sophistication (recognizable by few).
"...to change our way of reading (listening), to be attuned simultaneously to flashing surfaces and structural intricacies ... both televisual and poetic, and to alter consciousness toward a future mode of perception."Mark Edmundson
• Spontaneous combustion of rap, hip-hop as urban folkloric forms. "Folkloric" in the sense that it arises out of sentiments and materials at hand.
• Compare African tribal style: dance, poetic storytelling (in-jokes, ironic boasting mixed with traditional wisdom), local instruments. Hip-hop style: same, except that local instruments are not skin and wood but samplers and turntables and drum machines with TV tempos.
• Funny idea: that parts of CITY are like "classical" hip-hop ...What rappers might tune into as an exotic extension of their vocabulary. >>